Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Celebrating Earth Day: A Day at the Farm

We celebrated Earth Day by accepting an invitation to spend the day at Swede Dairy Farm.  It is important to me that my kids get in touch with nature. Every Spring we plant a small veggie/fruit garden because I want them to learn the value of growing food. I want them to learn  that it does not magically appear at the grocery stores and to make wise choices on what they put into their bodies. We couldn’t have picked a better activity for this special day.   

This was our first time visiting this farm and we felt welcomed. We each had the name and description of a goat on our name tags and we had to find them, we then took pictures with them.

We got to experience what is like to milk a goat! It was much easier than I had thought!


They had newborn goats and we were thrilled to have been given the opportunity to bottle feed them. 
We were also given a complete tour of the Dairy Farm and even learned how to make Chevre!  
And of course we had to bring home some of the good stuff! We decided on their Lemon-Blueberry Chevre and Goat Cheese Pesto and Pepper Torte. 


It was a very rewarding experience and I’m thankful to have been given the opportunity to spend our day at a farm.  On our way home my husband thanked me for the things I encourage our family to do. We live in a world with such busy lifestyles that we forget to appreciate Nature.  To those who live in the Houston/Austin area, I encourage you to check out Swede Dairy Farm. Not only would you be supporting a great farm but they really do have amazing products. 

~Adriana

No comments:

Post a Comment