Thursday, April 12, 2012

Recipe Experiment: Superfood Cookie


I dub these tasty morsels “Superfood Cookies”. I based them on a recipe I saw for Peanut Butter Chia Seed cookies, but I modified it to make them even more “real”. I’m always looking for easy, delicious, and guilt-free homemade foods that can serve as a snack, breakfast item, lunch side, or dessert and these fit the bill perfectly! I made a batch and plan to freeze them so I can simply reheat them in the toaster oven when the time is right. My oldest helped me with the batter and got a small one as a treat and she loooooooved it!

How do you incorporate super healthy ingredients into your family’s snacks? Comment below and let us in on your secrets!!

Here’s the recipe:

Superfood Cookies

1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup almond meal
¼ cup flax seed meal
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup cacao powder
1 ½ tablespoons chia seeds
¼ cup butter (or olive oil or coconut oil or applesauce), room temperature
½ cup raw local unfiltered honey
¾ cup homemade nut butter
2 organic pastured/cage free/fertile/free range (pick one or pick them all!) eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Either line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease the sheet with butter and flour.

In medium bowl, combine oats, both meals, baking powder, cocoa powder, and chia seeds.  In separate bowl, mix the butter with the honey until smooth, then add nut butter, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. Pour oat mixture into bowl with “wet” ingredients and mix well.  Drop by mix by the tablespoonful onto cookie sheet and bake for approximately 15 minutes.  Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment